Kidney Stones Home remedy and natural treatment with causes and remedies. Prevention and suggested food to eat while having kidney stones
Kidney stones are made up of salts and minerals. The buildup is slow and can take years before the first manifestation of associated problems. They vary in size ranging from fractions of an inch to several inches. Small stones (less than 5mm) can pass through the Urine and out of the body. It is the large ones which are very painful. A kidney stone is formed when the excess of certain minerals accumulates in Urine. They are often made up of calcium and Uric acid. They form inside Kidneys. In Kidneys, they are usually harmless but become very painful, once they pass on to Urinary tract and block it.
On an average, 19% of men and 9% of women are expected to have an episode of stones in their lifetime. The first episode occurs typically after the age of 30. Diseases like High BP, Diabetes, and obesity may all be contributory factors in the malady.
Symptoms of Stones in Kidney
What are the symptoms?
Pain is starting as a dull ache, and quickly escalating to sharp wincing pain in the back, belly, or side.
- Fever and Chills.
- Difficulty in passing urine. Urge to pass urine multiple times but with reduced outflow.
- The appearance of blood in the urine
- If urine looks cloudy
- If it is smelly.
- Pain or burning sensation during urination.
- If there is an urgent need for urination.
How to Prevent Kidney Stones Naturally
How can I prevent myself from falling prey to malady?
Here are a few things that you can do to take care of your Kidney health
- Learn to drink plenty of water, typically around eight glasses. Drinking water dilutes those substances that create stones. It is good if citrus beverages are added like lemonade are added. Citrate helps prevent stone formation.
- Ensure enough Calcium intakes: Reduced calcium levels lead to increased oxalate levels causing the formation of stones. Calcium should be taken from food resource and should be age-appropriate. Vitamin D should also be consumed to enable absorption of Calcium.
- Reduce intake of Sodium (salt): High Sodium intake is linked to increased calcium in the urine. So sodium intake should be restricted. It will also have beneficial results for your blood pressure and heart.
- Reduce consumption of animal protein: If you consume too much red meat, seafood then you risk increasing the amount of uric acid in the blood. These foods also reduce citrate, a known stone blocker. Reduced red meat consumption is right for your heart too.
- Avoid Colas and Oxalate rich foods: Colas are rich in phosphorus, whole grains such as chocolates, spinach, most nuts, tea are rich in oxalates. Both Oxalates and Phosphorus contribute to stones, Avoid their consumption to the extent possible.
Kidney Stones and Foods to avoid
If you have been diagnosed with kidney disease, you must endeavor to limit your intake of sodium, potassium, and phosphorus. Here is a list of foods to be avoided to reduce the above
- Avocados: Though supposedly heart-healthy the fruit is potassium-rich. It provides twice the amount of potassium a normal Banana can provide. Hence the consumption of the fruit should be restricted for a healthy kidney diet.
- Canned Food: Contains a high amount of sodium as a preservative to increase shelf life. Hence canned food should be avoided to limit the intake of sodium.
- Whole Wheat bread: Is preferred over white bread because it contains fibers, but is also more abundant in phosphorus and potassium, not to mention sodium. Hence white bread is recommended for people suffering from renal disease.
- Brown Rice: Again has higher potassium, and phosphorus content .hence must be avoided to reduce the above content. There are substitutes like Buckwheat, Bulgur, Pearl barley that is nutritious and have lower mineral content.
- Bananas:- Gain potassium is the culprit, most tropical foods have high potassium content. Pineapples are though an exception, they are nutritious as well low in potassium.
- Dairy products:- Are rich in nutrients. They are also rich in proteins and phosphorus. In Kidney patients, excess of phosphorus in the blood may cause the bones to become weak over time. A high amount of protein can lead to building up of protein waste in the blood. Alternatives like almond milk and enriched rice milk are much lesser in potassium and hence are good alternatives.
- Orange and Orange Juice: Oranges are a rich source of Vitamin –C but are also rich in potassium, hence are not recommended for a renal diet. Juices of grapes, Cranberries, and apples are all good substitutes for orange juice and can be an easy replacement for orange.
- Processed meats:- Tomatoes, Apricots, Dates, Raisins and Prunes, Packaged, instant, and pre-made meals.
Some Unknown Causes of Kidney Stones
Where have I erred to get them?
You can’t blame yourself. Kidney stones happen when stone-forming substances like calcium, oxalate, and uric acid are in concentrated quantity in your bloodstream. And your urine lack substances that prevent crystal formation.
- Genes and stress levels may also play a part in their formation. Water in certain poorer districts may be improperly filtered and may contain a higher proportion of minerals, which may induce stone formation.
- Obesity doubles the chances of stones in the body, so if you are overweight, you are inviting a host of maladies, including stones.
- Type 2 Diabetes: Your urine becomes more acidic, increasing the chances of stone formation.
- Parathyriodism: Too much of thyroid hormone can cause calcium levels to go up in the blood. This may lead to Kidney stone formation
- Certain Medications: Certain Anti-biotic, including ciprofloxacin and sulpha drugs.
- Some drugs to treat HIV and AIDS.
- Certain but not all diuretics to treat blood pressure.
Home Remedies for Kidney Stones
Water: Drink plenty of water. It enhances urine formation, reduces acidity in the blood, and cleanses the urine of stone-forming substances.
Follow 8 by 8 rule:- It means drink 8 ounces (250 ml.) of water eight times a day. Drinking a glass of warm water first thing in the morning is an effective antidote to a host of diseases, like acidity, and constipation. It will keep your stomach healthy. A healthy stomach ensures a healthy digestive system. This has overall health benefits, including to your cardiovascular system.
Lemon Juice: It is rich in citrates. They prevent the formation of kidney stones by breaking calcium deposits. Squeeze a lemon in a glass of mildly warm water and consume it first thing in the morning. Repeat the process in the evening before dinner time. This will aid digestion and reduce stone formation.
Basil: Holy Basil has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is a herb revered in Ayurveda and Hindu Scriptures. A tsp. of basil extract mixed with little honey will improve overall body immunity. It is also a memory booster for students. It will also prevent the formation of stones.
Wheat Grass Juice: is rich in nutrients and anti-oxidants. It increases urine production and helps the urinary tract get rid of minerals and salts. Drink at least a glass ( 8 Oz.) every day in the morning. It will also reduce weight gain and aid in blood sugar maintenance.
More Natural Treatment for Kidney Stones
Kidney Bean Broth: Kidney bean is a natural detoxifier. It contains a high amount of magnesium, which prevents the formation of stones. Boil the beans for an hour or so at low flame. Let them simmer in boiling water. Collect this water and drink it multiple times a day.
Pomegranate Juice: Human life expectancy has increased over the century. Fatal diseases have been conquered by the development of science. Life expectancy has also increased because of the availability of good food, what was once the delicacies reserved for the high and mighty is now available in superstore. Pomegranate was once such luxury, but it is now widely grown. Pomegranate is historically well known for its medical benefits. It has astringent and anti-oxidant properties. It reduces acidity in the urine, and its consumption in juice form will help cure the malady.
Tribullus Terrestris: It is a native of the Mediterranean region. It is a fruit-producing plant, which historically has been vested with very many properties. Terrestris helps lowers phosphates and dissolve mineral deposits. It can be consumed raw.
Apple Cider Vinegar: It has citric acid and helps dissolve calcium deposits in the urinary tract. Two tbsp. Mixed with a cup of water can be consumed two-three times a day.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil: It helps in lubricating the urinary tract, 4-5 Oz. Consumed every morning will help in getting rid of discomfort.
Follow discipline; Ancient wisdom in India prohibits dinner after sunset. To fix your dinner time closest to the sunset, and stick to it. Keep your dinner light. This will prevent you from accidently wolfing food at weddings and receptions. Avoid food high in salt, sugar, and fats. Avoid carbonated, caffeine, and alcoholic drinks. Eat rich fiber filled food and avoid stress. Stress is expected to be the number 1 killer in the coming years
If you are residing in an area where the water contains heavy mineral deposits, then drinking of RO processed water is highly recommended as it removes all mineral impurities.