In today’s polluted times, Nasal congestion is becoming a daily affair. Many people get a stuffy nose every now and then. It can be annoying but luckily it isn’t something too serious. Excess mucus drainage may also occur with it which leads to a sinus infection. Many – Natural Nasal Decongestants are there and can be used to fix it.
Home remedies for Stuffy Nose
Not enough has been said about the benefits of drinking enough water even with a stuffed nose. It is advisable to consume two to three liters of water per day.
A few easy and alternative methods that some people have found to relieve the sensations are:
- Hot soup – drinking a hot spicy soup is believed by some to help open up the nasal passages. Clear soup or chicken soup act as comfort food during this time and also are remedies that have been passed down several generations.
- Gargling with hot water with salt mixed in it helps clear the throat. This can be done in the mornings and then several times in the day.
- Acupressure or Face massage – a gentle massage with the fingers may provide some respite.
- A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar mixed into a glass of water is a great cure for curing sinuses.
- Peppermint or ginger tea – menthol also helps reduce stuffiness and is also good for the throat.
Causes of Sinus Infection are:
Allergies occur when the body’s immune system reacts badly to a substance that is usually not damaging. For example: pollen or dust. Family history of allergies is a plausible reason for allergies.
Someone could also have a reaction to a substance in their work environment. For instance those who work around chemicals, wood dust or harmful conditions etc. may increase the risk of developing it.
Hormones keep fluctuating and blood flow increases during pregnancy as well which can cause swelling of the mucous membrane in the nose.
If one has had multiple nose surgeries inside the nose can experience thinning and hardening of the mucus. Making it easier for bacteria to grow and cause the infection.
How to cure sinus permanently at home
Applying a warm cloth dipped in very warm water to the face may help. One should make sure the water is not so hot that it could burn the skin. Sliced fresh ginger can be added to the water before soaking.
Neti is a great age old technique for clearing the nasal passages.Here water is poured from one nostril and allowed to be ppoured out from another using a Neti pot which can be found easily.
A hot shower or bath is the best thing to get rid of a nasal congestion as steam from a hot bath may help improve breathing. It also helps to relax the body.
Best position to sleep with a stuffy nose
Lying down often leads to feeling the nasal passage to feel blocked and thus one feels unable to breathe comfortably and that can disturb the sleep. Lifting your upper body (at an angle) helps the nasal passages to drain. A similar effect can be created by layering pillows to form a triangle shape. If you wake with one side of your nose blocked, shifting position will often help to clear it.
Essential oils for sinus infection act as Natural Nasal Decongestants
There are many plant based essential oils that can be used to cure a stuffy nose and provide relief for the symptoms. Some of them are:
- Eucalyptus oil – The oil has been used for centuries for its healing properties. Inhaling the oil can make breathing easier. Simply place a few drops of the oil in a pot of boiling water and inhale the steam. Several over-the-counter decongestant products, such as chest rubs, contain eucalyptus oil.
2. Tea tree oil – may improve sinus congestion by fighting two potential causes: bacteria and viruses.
3. Oregano oil – Oregano oil may help a person recover from sinusitis by fighting off bacteria.
4. Clary sage – Clary sage is another essential oil that may fight sinusitis or congestion caused by bacteria.
- Peppermint oil – Peppermint oil contains menthol. This compound may affect the mucus receptors in the nose, helping to open the airways and clear mucus.