Scratchy Throat allergies causes and prevention. Check Home Remedies of scratchy throat with natural remedies. Throat soothing remedies.
The most common cause of scratchy throat is a viral infection such as cold or flu. In most cases, it would go off on its own. However, in rare cases, the cause of infection is bacteria, and then the antibiotic course would have to be taken. Allergies and dry air can also cause a scratchy throat.
A painful, dry, or scratchy feeling in the throat brings millions of patients to the Doctor’s office annually.
Scratchy Throat Remedies
How do I soothe my throat?
Drink caffeine free tea with honey and lemon or drink honey and lemon with warm water. Soup broth would also reduce discomfort.
Scratchy throat Prevention
Adequate rest is the first requisite; plenty of sleep should be taken every day. Quality of sleep has to be ensured by getting rid of technical devices at least an hour before the sleep time. Listening to soothing music also helps, so does a little bit of meditation prior to sleep.
Follow 8by 8 rule: Drink 8 Oz. Of water, eight times a day. Keep yourself hydrated; Water is the least respected medication. Following a proper water drinking routine will improve body’s capacity to fight various ailments. It works in ways we still are unable to decipher. But we know of its short term as well as long term benefits in diseases ranging from arthritis to heart trouble.
Dinner time should be set nearest to the sunset. Avoid eating late or eating discomforting (Rich in oils, fats, and spicy) food.
Limit intake of alcohol
If possible, quit smoking in the short term it causes minor discomfort but long term prognosis for smokers varies from bad to very bad.
Keep the air in your room humidified.
In case of scratchy throat, consider chewing on Lozenges or hard candy.
One way of avoiding the germs causing this problem is to wash hands with water and soap throughout the day. Hand sanitizers can also be used instead. Avoid the company of sick people. Make sure not to share your personal items.
Exercise, do yoga and Pranayam
It boosts your immunity and takes care of your overall body health.
It is a prescribed formula in yoga to get rid of the allergic problem in the thoracic area. It is a long term cure and is often referred to as patients with chronic allergies.
Use a jal neti utensil, fill it with slightly warm water, tilt your head to one side, and let the water flow from one nostril to another. Repeat the process with the second nostril. Dry both your nostrils by vigorously exhaling air through them. Exhale hard at least ten times.
Care: It should be learned under the guidance of an expert.
Scratchy Throat Home Remedies
- Gargling: Mix half a tsp. of salt in a glass of warm water, and gargle. Do it 2-3 times a day. It will not only soothe the inner lining of the throat but will reduce infection and congestion.
- You can also rinse with tea water. (Boil tea leaves in a glass of water, and use this warm water for gargling) . Mix ½ a tsp. Of salt in the water. Tea water has better gargling benefits than ordinary warm water)
- Cloves: They have antioxidant properties and are high on eugenol and Vitamin C. Warm Couple of cloves on a griddle or a hot plate, and keep them in your mouth for around 5 minutes, chew as gently as possible. Their juice mixed with saliva will give relief. Do it 3 -4 times a day.
- Warm Tea: Sweetened with honey will have a soothing effect on your throat. Drink it multiple times and enjoy its flavor. You can also use green tea instead of normal tea. Green tea had excellent anti-oxidant properties.
- Echinacea and sage spray; It is another very effective home remedy. It is as effective as any over the counter medication for alleviating scratchy throat.
- Marshmallow roots; it has mucilage which lubricates the throat. It has been used for ages as an effective remedy against a bad throat. Soak a few grams of roots in a tumbler of water; make sure that roots are bound in a cotton cloth. Leave the mixture overnight. Drink the water throughout the day. Add sweetener if required.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Is a natural health tonic for ages. It has acetic acid. Mix a tsp. Of ACV with warm water, add honey to taste and drink this mixture 2-3 times a day. ACV has strong anti-oxidant and anti-bacterial properties.
- Licorice root (Mulethi); It has aspirin-like qualities and when consumed as tea has a soothing effect on the sore throat. It is an age old remedy and has excellent anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacteriall properties. It also has anti-inflammatory properties. It is widely and cheaply available.
- Warm Lemon Water:- Lemon is rich in vitamin-C and also boosts immunity. Drinking warm water mixed with lemon and few drops of honey will not only keep the body hydrated but also boost its overall immunity.
- Ginger root tea, Coconut oil taken in warm beverages has a very soothing effect on the infected throat.
- Cinnamon (Dal cheeni) is an old age Ayurveda remedy. It helps improve digestion and control blood sugar. It improves sleep quality and strengthens the bones. It is often added to food for its distinctive flavor. Mix a few leaves in your usual cup of tea. It will not only enhance the flavour but also soothe your troubled throat. Drink at least 2-3 cups of tea per day.
When to see a Doctor?
If the symptoms persist for more than a week or they become worse despite taking remedies mentioned above, further
- Any difficulty in swallowing food or liquids
- Hoarseness in talking,
- Or difficulty breathing doing normal stuff
- If the discomfort is accompanied by chills and fever.
These are the times when medical attention is required.
Takeaway: Scratchy throat is a very common malady, but can be effectively cured with OTC medication and home remedies. Take precautions, lead a healthy lifestyle, and drink plenty of water to keep the malady at bay.